Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Front and rear master cylinder plastic reservoir/container replacements?
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> Wheels/BrakesMessage format

DouglasVB
Posted 2011-09-22 5:30 PM (#105822)
Subject: Front and rear master cylinder plastic reservoir/container replacements?

Hello everyone,

This probably was already answered elsewhere but my searching through the forums didn't yield results...

The 1980 XS850SG I recently purchased has some VERY frail front and rear master cylinder plastic reservoirs. They look like if I sneezed hard, they would crumble to pieces. Talking with the local dealer, they inform me that I can only buy the entire master cylinder assembly and not just the plastic reservoirs. Each assembly runs about $180 from the dealer. I see that MikesXS sells a front master cylinder assembly that appears to match the XS850SG (Part #08-0265). It runs about $87 plus shipping though. There does not seem to be a suitable drop-in rear master cylinder replacement from MikesXS however. The few front and rear master cylinder assemblies on E-Bay don't look all that appealing to me and will no doubt need to be rebuilt. At that rate, I'll just buy the front from MikesXS if that part number will in fact work on my bike.

A buddy suggested I try to repair the decayed plastic reservoirs with epoxy. I'm leery of doing this as the plastic looks pretty darn ratty. It might work though and would be a heck of a lot less expensive...

Is there any source of new plastic reservoirs? Especially for the rear? I will bite the bullet and buy the front master cylinder assembly from MikesXS if that is my only real option. But what do I do about the rear master cylinder plastic reservoir?

Thanks in advance!

Douglas

Edited by DouglasVB 2011-09-22 5:41 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)