Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

jcw
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Idle Talk -> Member's BikesMessage format

jcw
Posted 2013-09-22 8:26 AM (#127053)
Subject: jcw

Hello,

joined the club a couple weeks ago.

I live in the burbs of Chicago which is a good and bad thing. Good, there are plenty of bikes on local ads. Bad, there are plenty of BAD examples as well.

Bought a used xs750 and might have bit off more than I can chew. Trans wouldn't go into second gear, that long middle drive side cover bolt stripped, broke off a header bolt removing the exhaust, engine running intermitently on 2 cylinders, most frame bolts are rusty and a PITA to remove, parts of the wiring harness are a mess. Tires a hard as rock, forks saggy and soft, headlight/tach/speedo not working.

Followed the thread in the sticky and dropped the oil pan, removed the gas tank, replaced the fluids. Eventually, pulled the carbs and cleaned them a little. In the process, I buggered up the exhaust stud hole sooo bad, i'm replacing the head. Fortunately found one on ebay for less than $100 shipped.

I did get the bike started and running on all three cylinders for a little with a poorly fitted exhaust. I tried the second gear fix (moved the shim between the second and fifth gears) and while now I'm able to get into gear, a short ride down the driveway and back, the trans jumped out twice. Likely the drum and fork are BAD.

So while I tied to avoid tearing into the bike and motor, I just had no choice. Head is off and the new one is cleaned and reassembled. CLearances are within spec.

Unfortunately, the gasket set I bought off craigslist from a guy in Sussex, WI has never arrived. Can't reach him either. :(

Also I am amazed how hard it is locating a cam chain for the bike. Looked at z1enterprises- out of stock, dime city doesn't seem to have one, sent an email to steve lloyd parts. I may just get the link from yamaha.

Have an '81 ignition pick up and the rotor waiting to go on and just received a set of triumph triple carbs.

I am in so far in this project($$$) there is no turning back. Anyway, if it weren't for the beautiful cafe racer pics on the net and the triple engine, I might give up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)