Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mikuni II rebuild questions. Stripped screws and stuck pilot jet.
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Modifications -> CarburetorsMessage format

dave41079
Posted 2014-04-19 12:21 PM (#133702)
Subject: Mikuni II rebuild questions. Stripped screws and stuck pilot jet.

I bought my bike with the carbs off of it, and no idea when it was last running. I started tearing them down today to check things out. So far this is what I've found.

My float valves have 2.0 stamped on them, and none of the three have screens on them. If I buy replacements do they come with the screens?

The pilot air jets appear to have 180 stamped on them, but it's hard to read.

The pilot jets say 42.5 on them.

The emulsion tubes have what appear to say 270 above EIY-0, but I can't tell for sure.

The main jets are 142.5. Isn't stock 135? This seems like a really large jet for these.

And now for the bad news. A couple of the bolts that hold the carbs together along the brace are broken off in the carb bodies, so I'll have to try and extract those. Even worse is one pilot jet is stuck inside the carb. I believe it was overtightened and then someone tried to remove it and completely boogered it up. Also, 2 of 3 butterflies have rusty stripped screw heads on them. Looks like someone tried using a phillips and stripped the screws out.

So my main questions are:

1. Do new float valves come with screens? If not, where can I get them?
2. Do all of the stamped numbers on these parts seem right? Should I get new main jets closer to stock? I am planning on running a Kerker 3-2-1 and K&N pods.
3. How can I get that pilot jet out?
4. What is the best option for the butterflies? I figure I can leave them in, and hope the shaft seals aren't leaking...drill the screws out and hope I don't screw up the threads in the shaft...or find replacement shafts and plates and just drill it completely out and replace all the parts. How available are those parts though?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)