Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

deoxymoron
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Idle Talk -> Member's BikesMessage format

deoxymoron
Posted 2015-05-18 6:53 PM (#144028)
Subject: deoxymoron

New user

Hello, I am posting for the first time, although I have been looking at many threads here.

I picked up my 1980 XS850SJ with about 23000 miles on it a couple years ago and, due to my own distractions, I have not had much luck with getting it fixed. Perhaps I can get a little help and encouragement from others.

This bike sat in a garage for quite a while and, from what I gather, my sister got it with a whole load of stuff from his estate after he died. She had left it in the yard for a couple of years before I finally bought it from her.

Things wrong:
1. Carbs - Got these rebuilt, synced and tuned at Cycle Metrics - Guy did a great job. That was last year now and now the bike will start, but as soon as I try to ride it up the hill or around the block it seems to die when any load is put on it.
2. Starter - When I first got the bike the starter would crank, now it needs something fixed. It just kinda clicks, like it is too weak.
3. Electrical - Maybe this has something to do with the starter? Last time I really rode it (last year) it would backfire when I put on the turn signal.
4. Brakes - I was able to get the rear master cylinder and caliper working well, but the front was very spongy and braking was not quick enough. Now, I have fork oil in the right side becuase somehow the right fork seal started leaking really bad and I didn't notice till I had tried to ride it again around the block.
5. Forks - leaking and the bike feels easier to turn right than left. I think that it's the pre-load or lack of oil has something to do with it. It doesn't seem bent.
6. Kick Stand - The centerstand works (kinda feels like its falling away from me though) but the kick stand tab broke off.
7. Petcocks - Replaced with new last year.

That it the start, and here are a few pics from last year. If any one had a favorite thread or advice to help me get the bike running better, rebuild the forks and make those front brakes work better I surely appreciate it. Oh, and the electrical. I'd really just like to replace the whole harness with a new one or aftermarket, if that could be easier than chasing down the problems.

(Deoxymoron850b_600x450.jpg)

(Deoxymoron850_600x450.jpg)

(Deoxymoron850carbs_600x450.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Deoxymoron850b_600x450.jpg (43KB - 136 downloads)
Attachments Deoxymoron850_600x450.jpg (35KB - 141 downloads)
Attachments Deoxymoron850carbs_600x450.jpg (39KB - 149 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)