Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possibly changing my opinion (rant)
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Idle Talk -> Member's Lounge (was Off Topic)Message format

TheWall
Posted 2015-06-24 12:23 PM (#144659)
Subject: Possibly changing my opinion (rant)

Regular

I've never been a "loud pipes save lives" guy. I believe paying attention and playing the "what-if" game ("what's the stupidest @#$&!!! thing another motorist around me can do, and what will I do when -- not if -- they do it?") are the best ways for a motorcyclist to keep him/her -self safe, but I'm starting to think that loud pipes might not be such a bad idea, after all.

So I'm on my way to work on my V-Strom (can't kick start my Triple due to a recent, minor foot injury) this morning, cruising down a 45MPH, secondary road (two northbound lanes, two southbound lanes, and a suicide lane down the middle). I'm in the right-hand northbound lane when a dually work truck pulls out ahead of me. No problem; he's far enough ahead that I can slow down or change lanes to avoid him. There's a four door Jeep Wrangler in the lh lane, but I've got room to change lanes, so I do. No sooner do I turn off my turn signal after changing lines, than a complete tool in the suicide lane pulls into my lane so effing close that there's no time for me to brake...and the work truck is still next to me in the rh lane.

Fortunately, there was *just* enough room for me to lane split between them, even on my wide-butt Suzuki (side cases). (Shout-outs to my guardian angel for a job well done, who at this point in my life is probably main-lining valium!)

I've been trying to figure out how to repair the broken, obnoxiously loud exhaust on my Yammie, but ya know...I don't think I will, after all. I might weld some new steel on the outside of the pipe to cover up the holes, but no one has *EVER* been unaware of me on the (103+ dB) Triple, whereas on my (83dB) V-Strom, I've had more than enough close calls. I'm done. I think I'm even going to retrofit my Strom to a louder can, as well.

[end rant]
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)