Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carb Sync - Low Vacuum On Center Carb
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Modifications -> CarburetorsMessage format

GeorgePBurdell
Posted 2016-06-13 1:12 PM (#151040)
Subject: Carb Sync - Low Vacuum On Center Carb

I recently had the carbs on my '78 Special vapor blasted and cleaned to solve an erratic running issue. In the reassembly, I installed new butterfly seals. I bench synched the carbs and put them back on the bike - fired up on the 1st kick! However, I have a bit or an erratic idle and some hesitation, so I decided to validate the carb sync with a manifold. I built a U-tube maifold and found that both the #1 and #3 carbs would pull fluid (a mixture of ATF for color and some STP for viscosity) out of the manifold tubes faster than I could attempt any adjustment. Broke down and bought a vacuum gauge amnifold for the job - and similar work on some other bikes.

With the manifold, I can get "good" readings and make adjustments - BUT I can NOT get the outboard carbs down to the vacuum of the center one. At idle - about 1200 rpm, it shows just about 10" vacuum. I can get the outboards to match at about 15", but no closer than that. Bike seems to idle OK - not perfect - and will take throttle. She seems to run OK under load, but I would expect the idle vacuum to be closer. When revved up, the difference gets a bit less, but the center carb remains lower.

I have rechecked the bench sync, verified no leaks at the boots and caps. Any suggestions on what else to look for?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)