Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Left cylinder backfiring intermittently after carb work
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> CarburetorsMessage format

egustaps
Posted 2017-01-14 12:34 AM (#152859)
Subject: Left cylinder backfiring intermittently after carb work

Had a recent service on the carbs on my XS850SG, which has made the idling better, but has introduced a new problem, namely that the left cylinder takes 30 secs to 1 min to start firing after startup, and will continue to run "poorly" as in exhibiting intermittent popping thru the exhaust on idle and deceleration. Another problem that was initially introduced after the service was that the left carb was flooding, apparently because the float needle was not closing/sealing correctly. Gas would build up and drip from air box, noticeable after turning off the bike. This last problem has since been fixed (by adjusting the float level, I think) but the troublesome left cylinder persists. Initially, after the service, when draining the carbs to try and perhaps unstick a sticky float valve, the little float needle spring fell out, either of the left or middle carb (most likely the left). My understanding is that the absence of this float needle spring shouldn't cause a flooding condition because it assists in allowing gas flow rather than restricting/closing it (is this correct?). Also, my mechanic says the spring isn't really necessary so I'm a little unclear as to whether he put it back in...

Any theories as to what can be the culprit for the poor starting left cylinder, and the fact that it will continue to intermittently pop thru the exhaust during idle and coasting?

Thanks,
Einar
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)