Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great River Road Riding Dutchman
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Idle Talk -> Ride ReportsMessage format

Harold
Posted 2017-09-06 5:04 AM (#153367)
Subject: Great River Road Riding Dutchman

Regular

Proud as Mary she will be, my 1980 MS. When after a 3-year sleep she wakes up next week. Her big wheels will start to turn again and will keep turning all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. MS’s mantra will be Tina Turner’s tune: “rolling, rolling, rolling down the river.’’ Tina was born and raised in Nutbush City just about 20 miles from the Mississippi River. And that is where MS and I are about to embark on to for our 5th long-distance riding adventure: following the old historic Great River Road along the Mississippi River from Keokuk IA to Venice LA south of New Orleans LA. And back to Bloomington IN over the Natchez Trace and the Tail of the Dragon.

MS now is waiting for me in the shop of Fox Yamaha in Bloomington IN where she got prepared and tuned to an excellent riding state. Such as a new rear tire as there was zero profile left on that after the 2011 and 2014 rides. Turn signals that had come loose, were hanging on to their wires and stopped functioning back on and in working order. New battery, filters, fluids, plugs, brake pads, all the service works. Including a machine-work demanding front fork job to fix whatever over the years caused the fork seals to always start leaking again soon after replacement.

MS won’t be just by her motorcycle-self. She will have motorcycle company again, like on the 2011 Lincoln Highway and 2014 Yellowstone Trail adventures. Pristina of David van Grinsven aka Griz86 on this triple site. MS will look like her old self. Not Pristina, she is an even better shiny sight to behold. David took off her clothing so this time Pristina will also ride naked with nothing to hide, like MS.

After a few days of test riding MS in the Southern Indiana hills and woods, on September 16th I will come in from the East to team up with seasoned riding partner and dear friend David coming in from the North at the oldest (1928) US truck stop in McLean IL (it is on Route66). From there due West to Keokuk IA to pick up the Mississippi River. Riding on the old roads close to the river banks will take us to Venice LA where the Mississippi dumps its cool Minnesota waters into the warm waves of the Gulf of Mexico. The Great River Road trespasses into the territory of the Mississippi Blues Trail - offering the promise of a few beers in a traditional blues joint. New Orleans will be an R&R day with a visit to Preservation Hall’s traditional jazz in the evening. From New Orleans it is back to Natchez MS to catch the 450 mile long Natchez Trace to Nashville TN – except we will make a right at Florence AL to Deal’s Gap in the Smokeys to ride the famous or notorious Tail of the Dragon both ways. Traveling north will bring a stop at the Wild Turkey distillery on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (Wild Turkey being the favorite bourbon of my all-time favorite US writer Hunter Thompson). The final stretch back to Bloomington will be over scenic Indiana 135 via artist village Nashville in Brown County IN. The grand total mileage for me will be about 3.000 miles or close to 5.000 kilometers. David will need another 450 miles or so to his home in Appleton WI. Estimated return date to Bloomington is September 27th – all depending on hurricanes, tornados, machine performance and riders’ endurance of course. This is Plan A. Plan B is whatever changes are required for whatever reason.

This Great River Road ride is going to be my 5th long-range adventure over America’s historic highways. Precisely 10 years after the first, Route 66 in 2007. It is my second North-South / South North ride after the Dixie Highway ride of 2008. Kind of an anniversary. If you fellow triple rider are on or near our itinerary, send word for a possible meet & greet. Anniversary drinks await you.

Harold
Ride to Write

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)