Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me fix my 1979 xs750 Special
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> CarburetorsMessage format

jtminton
Posted 2017-10-17 8:09 PM (#153438)
Subject: Help me fix my 1979 xs750 Special

This question has no-doubt been asked before, but what the hey. . .

I bought the bike a couple of years ago, and have slowly been working on it. Here is what I have done:

New battery
Change all fluids
Rebuild carbs (twice)
Attempted petcock fix, which failed, and for now put valves in the fuel hoses to keep gas where it belongs when parked
New plugs
Removed airbox and put pod filters on (currently no filters while trying to fix carbs)

A little about the bike: The last time it ran was 2001. I bought it for $150 (w/ title) meaning to get it on the road to ride and/or sell. The right side muffler is rusted out, but cosmetically it is pretty nice.

I put it all back together and am trying to get it to run. I can start it with starter fluid, and when I rev it up it runs really nice. Loud, but smooth and not really very "poppy" or anything. Actually, with the hollow pipes it sounds rather manly. I even rode it in the neighborhood for a couple of miles and it is WAY more powerful than I thought it would be. My last bike was a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and this feels pretty similar (who knows how much power will be at speed, but let's not get ahead of ourselves).

Then we hit the snag: It won't idle. It also won't start without starting fluid unless it's the first cold try. Then it will run as long as I rev it, but still no idle.

I have adjusted the heck out of the mix screws (the #1 carb one was stuck during the rebuild and in trying to remove it with a small drill I made the little tiny hole a lot less tiny) and if I set the idle adjustment really high it will run, at least until the vibration unscrews it and then it dies.

I looked at the plugs and #1 and #3 are nice light brown/tan. The number two is a flat dusty black looking.

I am at a loss as to what to do next, how to proceed, etc. I am looking for any direction as to my next move. Other than any help, is there anyone who lives in the DFW area that might be able to come take a look at it sometime. I pay in beer. . . .

Thanks all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)