Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oil temps too high
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> EngineMessage format

jefferson
Posted 2017-10-24 2:32 PM (#153460)
Subject: Oil temps too high

Extreme Veteran

Since putting the Yoshimura digital multimeter on the bike I have seen oil temps that are a concern. On an 80 to 85 degree day running 70 to 75 on the highway I saw 110c temps which is over 240 degrees fahrenheit. I have always seen where oil temps over 240 is a bad thing although synthetics can handle those temps a lot better. If the outdoor temps are higher it just makes things worse and I can't even imagine what wold happen in the desert southwest. In my latest Cycle World in the service Q and A an oil temp question came up and it was stated that if your oil temps are over 230 to run full synthetic oil or add an oil cooler. It also states that excessively high oil temps will cause carbon buildup in the engines hottest places such as the piston ring lands and exhaust valve stems/guides. This more or less confirms my suspicion that our center cylinder problems are from stuck rings which causes the low compression and oil consumption issues.
I have an oil cooler from an 850 that I really want to get on the bike now, but is going to require some thought on the fabrication of decent mounts. And then I will also need to do the spin on oil filter mod as to get around the Kerker header. It will be interesting to see how much cooling effect results. I have had decent results from the Yamalube ring free plus fuel additive. Oil consumption has been noticeably reduced and I still need to take compression readings to see if the center cylinders compression is better. Using the Auto rx next riding season should clean things up even better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)