Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1980 XS850 Midnight Special
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wanted, Sell, Trade -> XS750 and XS850 Bikes for Sale/TradeMessage format

mmaxon888
Posted 2017-10-25 11:59 AM (#153461)
Subject: 1980 XS850 Midnight Special

Copied from my CL posting:

This is my 2nd bike of this exact year and model. I bought one that was a little rough, in spring of 2013, and I did quite a bit of work on it, but an accident that September took it away and almost took me with it. 3 years of searching led me to this one and I picked it up last April. It's in better condition than the other one, requiring only new carb float needles and seats. Tires are Bridgestone Spitfires, new (with 1,000 miles on them). Original owner removed the center stand and installed a 3-1 exhaust. I do not have the original 3-2 exhaust, nor would I put it back on! I have to admit the 3-1 sounds better than the original setup on my previous 850. It's a little rippier, a little howlier, pretty cool, yet doesn't p*** off my neighbor. Ask anyone that's owned a triple and watch their face as they tell you about it. You can feel the engine differently, it's not as smooth as an inline 4, but when you hit about 60 and the tach gets to about 4400, it smooths out completely and just runs freely and plays its song. Really a sweet thing to ride. When you run into a small town, no need to downshift. You can tool along in top gear at 20 mph if you want. It doesn't lug along like a vtwin or sputter like a 4 at lower rpm.

Some of the optional stuff I did include: replaced handlebars/grips, bar end mirrors, added small windscreen, swapped out original airbox (still have) for pods, replaced front and rear brake pads.

Stuff I will do before transferring ownership: rebuild of front calipers and front master cylinder. Works fine, but it doesn't stop as easily as my previous bike. I rebuilt the entire brake system on that one before taking it out at all, and I feel this bike should have the same easy brake feeling the old one had. Plus, brakes are something that you just can't skimp on. I will also change the engine oil (Castrol synthetic is all I use), filter, middle drive, and rear end fluids.

Everything else seems to be fine. On my old bike I replaced the fork seals as they were in bad shape. This bike was a one owner and the original owner seems to have kept it garaged. It's fairly clean for it's age, I actually haven't done more than dust it and have put about 1,000 miles on it this summer. Mileage may rise a little as I ride it to work about once a week. It runs and rides and handles very well, better than the old one I had. I love riding it to work, but it doesn't quite fit my lifestyle any longer. I'm glad I got the chance to own one again, but it's time to move on.

I do have a Haynes manual to include, along with a a tank bag for free if wanted. I have the original took kit, the bag was shot, but the tools are fine. Not what I'd use to work on a bike, but it's neat to see what Yamaha threw in there!

The old Yamaha triples are really cool bikes. You can hang with the cruisers or crotch rockets, everyone respects this bike. It's only the 2nd one I've ever seen in person, they are very rare. It's a little different with the gold accents, but I think the Midnight Specials, the 850, 1100, and when they started putting out the 750 Virago, are the coolest looking bikes out there. Love 'em or hate 'em!

I can trailer/deliver in the Omaha area after purchase. I would consider riding it to have it looked at. I work in downtown Omaha so that's the easiest place to meet but I can get around also. If you have a motorcycle license and the cash to leave with me, I might be ok with a short test ride locally, from my house only, and I'll ride with you. Yes, I have another bike. This bike is not a dragster or wheelie machine, it's a good bike that deserves to be ridden, respected, and cared for by the right person.

Price is firm. I don't need help selling. I won't ship it. I'll happily keep it as I'm on the fence this time... Please don't contact me with any scammy stuff. 4O23l2O327 - thank you.

Edited by mmaxon888 2017-10-25 12:04 PM

(IMG_5129.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_5129.JPG (55KB - 12 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)