Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Layshaft Bolt - 2nd failure - Analysis and corrective action
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> TransmissionMessage format

devotee
Posted 2017-11-27 8:17 PM (#153501)
Subject: Layshaft Bolt - 2nd failure - Analysis and corrective action

Extreme Veteran

Maybe the 2nd failure. I acquired this machine as a basket case 9 years ago. Prior work is a bit uncertain. That said, a few years ago I moved the thrust washer on the 2nd gear wheel and improved the jumping out of 2nd. A couple of weeks ago I just plain couldn't shift into 2nd. Very deliberately, I could get to 3rd and higher, but something was definitely wrong. I decided (prudently) to stop and find the cause and effect a repair before really bad things happened. Over this last weekend I removed the right side cover and there was a grade 12.9 socket head (no threads, just the head) laying there. Then there was the thick washer and then the threaded (all 30 mm) portion. All loose and laying there. I'm about 98% sure there is a broken lock washer down in the pan (for later). The soft washer lock plate that anchors the 32mm retaining nut on the clutch has in my view been re-used. IDK what fastener was used on the XS750E originally (flanged head or socket head?) but given the condition of the soft crimp washer that locked the nut, I believe this was done before, sometime in the less than 13K miles. I now have about 55K on the odo and it has failed again. Nie veder!!!!

Between materials and method I want a replacement that will NOT fail.

Stay tuned. I will update as this endeavor continues. And I just bought 4 pair of lined jeans and some thermal bib overalls for some cold weather riding.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)